Introduction / History
The Jats are traditionally a rural community in India and Pakistan. The term "Jat" originally meant "peasant," but they are much more than common field workers. In past centuries the Jats have excelled as fighters, and typically the reward for their military victories has been acquiring land.
There are a number of separate Jat clans, one of which is the Chima, also spelled Cheema. Wikipedia describes them as "very politically influential," "elite," and "aristocratic." They are among Pakistan's movers and shakers.
Where are they located?
The Chima Jats in Pakistan live mainly in Punjab, Pakistan's most influential province. A few of them live in the nearby Indian states of Punjab and Rajasthan.
What are their lives like?
The Chima Jats have held much power in Pakistan's national government as well as in Punjab's state government for many decades. Their wealth comes from land ownership. Because of their wealth and prestige, the Chima Jats would have much influence for good in Pakistan if they were willing to embrace the Savior.
What are their beliefs?
The Chima Jats of Pakistan are entirely Sunni Muslim. There are Jats in India who are either Hindu or Sikh, but in Pakistan, Jats are almost all Muslim.
What are their needs?
There are no known followers of Christ among the Chima Jats. Much more information is needed on their exact numbers and location. Fact finding, survey prayer teams would be helpful to find out more about the Chima Jats of Pakistan. The unreached group needs to be targeted by intercessors and church planters in Pakistan and India.
* Pray that that Chima Jats of Pakistan would have the opportunity to hear a clear presentation of the gospel in their language, Western Punjabi.
* Pray that Bibles and other resources would be available for a new Chima Jat church.
* Pray that the Lord would move some of His people to live among the Chima Jats and build relationships with them in order to bring them to Christ.
* Pray that the new Jat believers would be discipled and develop a burden for the salvation of all Jat communities.
* Pray the Lord would allow the JESUS Film in Western Punjabi to be shown in Pakistan and that He would bring Muslim Jats into His kingdom as a result.
Text source: Keith Carey