Introduction / History The Lasalimu live on the coastal road about an hour northeast of Pasarwajo on Buton Island. The village right before Lasalimu is Ambuaw, and the one right before Ambuau is Kumbewaha. The Lasalimu language is a unique language of its own, but the Lasalimu people also speak Wolio, Cia-Cia and Wanci. There are no books in the Lasalimu language, only in Indonesian. The village of Lasalimu has been in its present location since the 1500s. The population of Lasalimu is about 2,300, but only 10% of those are native Lasalimu people. The other 90% are Wolio, Cia-Cia and Wanci. There are about 2,300 Lasalimu altogether, but the others live outside the city of Lasalimu.
What are their lives like? About 40% of the Lasalimu are farmers, 30% are fishermen, 10% are service/government workers and the other 20% are businessmen and builders. The farmers grow sweet potatoes, cassava, cashews, coconut, vegetables, & watermelon. There are 2 public elementary schools. There is a madrassa (Muslim school) that goes from elementary school through high school. They teach all subjects. There is one clinic, but no nurse. The clinic has 1 midwife & there are 4 dukuns (witch doctors) who help the midwife deliver babies. As far as local government goes, there is one large village leader in Lasalimu (kepela desa). He has 4 smaller village leaders under him (kepela dusuns) and 8 RTs, which are leaders of even smaller groups. There is one police officer in the area. Every family owns a motorcycle. There are 20 public transportation vehicles in town: 8 trucks & 12 cars. For sports they play soccer, volleyball, & badminton. There are plans to build a new soccer field soon. Some of the men like to play dominoes with a deck of cards that look like dominoes (rather than the wooden ones).
What are their beliefs? 100% of the Lasalimu are Muslim. About 80-90% of them pray 5 times a day and fast during Ramadan. There are 3 mosques & 1 musola (small mosque) in Lasalimu. There are a few Christians in Lasalimu, but they aren't ethnic Lasalimu. They are from Java, Manado and Toraja.
What are their needs? a) Their stated top priority was for the Muslim high school (madrassa) to add some buildings & more classrooms.
b) They need roads to their farms.
c) They need to restore their fortress.
d) They need a hospital, nurse and a doctor.
Prayer Points * Pray for God to raise up & send workers,
* Pray for God to lead workers to those Lasalimu who have been prepared ahead of time to receive the Gospel,
* Pray for a hospital, nurse and doctor. * Pray for translation of the Bible to begin in this people group's primary language. * Pray for the availability of the Jesus Film in the primary language of this people. * Pray for Gospel messages to become available in audio format for this people group.
References Survey trip to the Lasalimu in 2015. Information from the village leader of Lasalimu.