Introduction / History
France led the way for European colonialism in Africa starting in the 1870s. Before long the French, British, Belgians, and Germans had literally carved up the African continent among themselves. This situation deteriorated at the end of WWII, and the peoples of West Africa were given their freedom to establish their own nations.
France held a number of colonies in West Africa, home of the Fulanis and other Muslim peoples. Africans who wanted to immigrate to France were given preferential treatment over people from non-French colonies. Today there are tens of thousands of Africans in France, some of whom are Fulani.
Where are they located?
Muslim Africans like the Fulani typically live in ghettos in French cities like Marselles, Lyons and Paris.
What are their lives like?
Some of the Fulani people in France are cheap labor, and others are highly educated members of the elite. Many foreigners who live in France feel like they will never be fully accepted, so they are often resentful. There have been a number of Africans in France who have made their name in sports or the entertainment industry.
What are their beliefs?
The Fulani peoples in France are largely Muslim; however, like many other Fulani tribes, their Islamic practices are a bit lax. Many still follow the traditional beliefs and practices of their ancestors. Others have become more secular like the French majority.
What are their needs?
Many of the Fulani people who live in France need to learn marketable skills so they can contribute to France's industrial economy.
* Pray for spiritual hunger among Fulanis in France that will overcome the barriers to the gospel.
* Pray for the Lord to raise up believers to reach out to Fulanis and other African Muslims in France.
* Pray for the Fulanis, Soninkes, Wolofs, and other African Muslim peoples in France to find faith in the redeemer, and form biblically-based fellowships of Muslim background believers.
* Pray for a disciple making movement among African Muslims in France.
* Pray for the availability of the Jesus Film in the primary language of this people.
ReferencesView Fulani in all countries.