People-in-Country Profile

People Selector:
Print version:
Step 1 - Select a Country:   Send us your updates!
Step 2 - Select a People:  

Maba in Indonesia


Send us a photo of this people.  [1]

Maba in Indonesia map
Population [2] Language Religion % Christian % Evangl Online NT Jesus Film Progress
12,000 Maba Islam 15.00 % 0.00 % No No   

Maba in Indonesia

Profile Text
Submit Profile Text:

Introduction / History
The Maba people are often known as the Bicoli, Bitjoil or Ingli people group. They are one of many people groups living on East Halmahera Island. They are the majority people group in South Maba District, East Halmahera Regency inNorth Maluku Province where they live alongside the Bugis people.

The Maba people use the Maba language in everyday life but also speak Indonesian as a trade language. The Mabu language is also used by the Sawai people (also known as the Weda people) who live in the Maba and East Gane districts. Maba is in the language group of South and East Halmahera, which also includes the Buli, Patani and Sawai languages.

What are their lives like?
Maba is the name of both a district and the capital city of East Halmahera. It is a coastal region where 80% of the villages are found alongside the beach and the other 20% of villages are located in mountainous areas. The water quality of the whole region is poor and cannot be consumed by the population.

The majority of the Maba people are farmers. The land in the district is fairly flat enabling various types of farming to take place. Forest and land fires pose the greatest risk to the population. The dry season is frequently long and the plants dry out and are easily ignited by something as small as a cigarette butt. A small fire quickly becomes a large one and can burn acres and acres of land as they are difficult to extinguish once they are started.

Apart from farming, some of the Maba people are fishermen. They are involved in catching fresh fish, shrimp, squid and farming sea cucumbers and seaweed.

What are their beliefs?
The majority of the Maba people are Muslim, as are most of the people groups in Halmahera. They often combine Islam with traditional animistic beliefs.

What are their needs?
The Maba people need entrepreneurial training so that they can be involved in business as almost all economic lines are controlled by other people groups, especially the Bugis.

View Maba in all countries.

Prayer Links
  Submit Update:
Country: Indonesia
Continent: Asia
Region: Asia, Southeast
Persecution Rank:49 (Only top 50 ranked, 1 = highest persecution ranking)
10/40 Window: Yes
Location in Country:Maluku Utara Province; Halmahera island, southeast peninsula, north coast facing Buli bay; Wasilei area.
(Source: Ethnologue 2016)
Submit Map:
Country Map:Political map
Ethnolinguistic Map:University of Texas or other map
Linguistic Map:Ethnologue language map
  Peoples [3]
Submit Update:
People Name in Country: Maba
People Name General: Maba
ROP3 Code: 115257
Joshua Project People ID: 19169
Indigenous: Yes
Population in Country: 12,000
Population all Countries: 12,000
Least-Reached: No
Affinity Bloc: Malay Peoples
People Cluster: Borneo-Kalimantan
People Name General: Maba
Ethnic Code: MSY44y
Ethnic Relationships: Affinity Bloc -> People Cluster -> Peoples Ethnicity Tree
Submit Update:
Primary Language: Maba (12,000 Speakers)
Language Code (ISO): mqa    Ethnologue Listing
Total Languages: 1
Religion [4]
Submit Update:
Primary Religion: Islam
Major Religions:
Buddhism0.00 % 
Christianity15.00 %(Evangelical: 0.00 %)
Ethnic Religions0.00 % 
Hinduism0.00 % 
Islam85.00 % 
Non-Religious0.00 % 
Other / Small0.00 % 
Unknown0.00 % 
Christianity Segments:
Anglican0.00 %
Independent15.00 %
Protestant70.00 %
Orthodox0.00 %
Other Christian0.00 %
Roman Catholic15.00 %
(Evangelicals distributed across Christianity segments)
Progress Indicators [5]
Progress Scale[6]   Evangelicals have only a very small representation among all who claim to be Christians.
Least-Reached: No
Bible Translation Status
Submit Update:
Bible Portions: Help start a Bible Translation
New Testament: None Reported
Complete Bible: None Reported
Ministry Resources [7]
None Reported
Ministry Activity
Register Ministry Activity:
Networking: Visit for networking possibilities.
Description: Register your ministry activity among this people group. Contact the Adopt-A-People Clearinghouse and Unleashed for the Unreached to learn about others that might be focused on this people group.
Data Notes
Data Sources

Maba in Indonesia

Global                 Global
  Affinity Bloc             Global  
People Cluster
    Borneo-Kalimantan     Asia, Southeast    
      Maba Indonesia    
            People-by-Country (Profile)          
            Maba in Indonesia          
      Religion Language  
      Islam     Maba  
    All Religions                              

Direct link: