Introduction / History The word "bauchi" means slaves or pagans in the Hausa language.
Cruse Amanda traveled around Bauchi land trying to pass the message of Jesus to the natives in the Hausa language, a language she did not fully understand. The Bauchi did not accept the white woman's Jesus. She later settled in Tundu Baturia among the Bassa people who are neighbors to the Bauchi People. When she took ill, eventually leading to her death, a Baptist church from the United Kingdom took over the church she planted.
Where are they located? They live within the Shiroro and Lakma Local Government Areas in Niger State, Nigeria. Their main towns are Madaka, Kukoki, and Masuku.
What are their lives like? The highest ranking title is the Hakimi. There are two Hakimi in Bauchi land, one in Madaka and the other in Masuku. Tough matters are carried to the Emir of Minna city. Note that non-Muslim chiefs are not respected by their community members. Farmers produce corn, yams, pepper, and rice.
What are their beliefs? Witchcraft is rampant among Bauchi people, who are nominally Muslim.
What are their needs? The illiteracy rate of the Bauchi is almost universal. Health problems include malaria, typhoid, measles, leprosy, and pneumonia. Poor natal care has contributed to the high infant mortality rate. This is due to the lack of good health centers.
They need Bible resources in their language.
Prayer Points * Thank God for keeping mission work among this people group since 1998 up till now.
* Commit the lives of the few converts among this people group to the hand of the Lord of the Harvest, that they will be strengthened in their faith and grow in their knowledge of Him.
* Pray that the demonic stronghold of the evil spirits ruling their lives be loosed, so that their minds can be able to think and be helped by the Holy Spirit to make right decisions.
* Pray that God will bless those who have supported missionary activities in Bauchi fields, and that God will raise more support for missionaries reaching Bauchi people. Pray for encouragement for missionaries and supporters alike.
* Pray that God will give missionaries relevant and meaningful strategies to reap the Bauchi people.
* Thank God for the churches and organizations networking to reach the Bauchi people. Pray for good understanding between us.
* Pray for the Cave Missions initiative to build a maternity center in Madagwa village, that God will bless us with resources needed to the point of completion.
* Pray that God will influence the leadership (chiefs) in Bauchi Land. Many of the chiefs are gateways to their people, but they will not have anything to do with Jesus in order not to lose their positions as leaders. Even those who are not Muslims prefer to remain Animists.
* Pray that Act 17:26 & Deu.32:8 will be super-imposed by the Almighty God, over the government decision to relocate the Bauchi people from around the Shiroro River course. Pray that this will lead to a change in their world view and core values. * Pray for translation of the Bible to begin in this people group's primary language. * Pray for the availability of the Jesus Film in the primary language of this people.